American Darts is a popular game played in many parts of the United States. It involves a board made of basswood and carrion darts, which are unique to this game. The official rules are quite straightforward:
1. The game begins with a ‘diddle’, where both players throw one dart each on the bull’s eye, and the one whose dart is closer starts the game.
2. Each game is divided into innings, each represented by a number. (for example, 1st inning – number 1, 2nd inning – number 2, etc.). The numbers used are from 1 to 9 and then the bull’s eye, which makes a total of 10 innings.
3. Players must try to hit the number that corresponds to the current inning. Hits in triples count as three hits, while hits in doubles count as two hits.
4. If a player throws before the ‘inning’ number is announced, his throw will be deemed invalid.
5. The player with the most points at the end of the tenth inning wins the game.
6. In case of a tie, the game will go into extra innings, with targets being the numbers outside the regular 1-9 and the bull’s eye.
All players must respect the predetermined order of play throughout the game.
1. Can a game of American Darts end in a draw?
Technically, yes, but in practicality, it’s very rare. If the score remains tied after the extra innings, the game continues with sudden death rounds until one player gains an advantage.
2. What kind of darts are used in American Darts?
American Darts are played with a specific type of darts known as wooden darts or ‘widdies’. They are larger and heavier than the darts used in the traditional dart game.
3. What happens if a dart bounces off the dartboard?
If a dart bounces off or falls off the board, it is considered a miss and it does not score any points. However, the dart’s score counts if it sticks and then falls off after being scored.
4. How high should the dart board be in American Darts?
The standard height for an American Darts board is 5 feet 3 inches from the floor to the center of the bullseye.
5. What is a diddle in American Darts?
A ‘diddle’ is a process at the beginning of the game to decide who goes first. Both players throw one dart at the bull’s eye. The one whose dart lands closest to the bull’s eye gets to start the game.